ELITE HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS
Registered Nurse/Case Manager
Supervised by: Director of Patient Care Services or Designee
Positions Supervised: LVN, Hospice Aides
Interrelationships: Patients, family, IDG and other health care team members
Provide nursing care to the terminally ill Hospice patient as needed. Provide assistance and understanding to the family in the home care situation and in time of bereavement. To work as a member of the Hospice team in providing Hospice care.
Educational/Degree: Graduate from an accredited school of nursing. Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing preferred.
Training/Licensure: Currently licensed as a registered nurse to practice in the State of California.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Ability to work independently, make accurate, and at times, quick judgments. Ability to supervise others appropriately. Ability to respond appropriately to crisis outside of a hospital setting. Acceptance of and adaptability to different social, racial, cultural and religious modes.
Experience: Minimum 1 year of experience as a professional nurse within the last three years.
A registered nurse shall have a minimum of one (a)  year experience as a professional nurse within the last three  years; or (b) have a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing and a current RN license.
Requires considerable physical effort most of the day including kneeling, squatting, reaching, twisting, climbing, walking, exposure to temperature and humidity changes and maximal assist in lifting and/or transferring of a 100-pound patient. Must possess sight/hearing senses or use appropriate adaptive devices that will enable senses to function at a level required to meet the essential duties of the position.
Must be able to work independently, make judgments based on assessments and data available and act accordingly. Must be flexible, innovative and possess good interpersonal skills. Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress and demonstrate emotional stability.
Be able to tolerate exposure to elements including, but not limited to, odors, blood, body fluids and excrements, adverse environmental conditions and hazardous materials.
Must have a current valid driver’s license, auto liability insurance, and reliable transportation.
- The Case Manager is the member of the interdisciplinary team who is the pivotal person in identifying the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of the patient and family. She/he initiates appropriate intervention and support for the patient and family upon admission and provides a continuously appropriate, comprehensive and responsive plan of care.
- Completes initial, comprehensive and ongoing assessments of patient and family to determine hospice needs.
- Regularly assesses and reassesses the nursing needs of the Hospice patient and family.
- Provides dietary counseling.
- Develops an individualized plan of car, based on identified needs.
- Coordinates with the hospice team (Hospice physician, attending physician, counselors, MSW, Hospice aide, and volunteers).
- Monitors the re-certification/re-authorization process.
- Ensures and documents appropriate use of the medications, durable medical equipment and supplies.
- Educates patients, families and other caregivers.
- Provides appropriate care plan and integrates care plans as needed.
- Performs on site evaluations of HHAs and volunteers.
- Supervises and trains other nursing service personnel.
- Performs specific nursing procedures as needed (e.g., treatments, management of symptoms) following doctor’s orders.
- Participates in Interdisciplinary Team Meetings as indicated.
- Follows the policies and procedures of Hospice. Observes confidentiality and safeguards all patient-related information in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Participates in QI assessment routinely.
- Integrates QI results into the established plan of care.
- Participates in on-call system and is responsible for providing on-call coverage when unavailable for assigned duties.
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
I have read the above job description and understand the duties and responsibilities associated with the position. I can perform the essential functions of this position without specific accommodations.